We’re really proud of this one, we’ve spent the last month hunkered down in the winter cold and snow to deliver a FrostWire release that makes the app work the way it was intended to work across all Android versions.
We’ve made deep architectural changes in the way the app runs it’s backend services so that it no longer needs keeps services and resources in use, this means, longer battery life and no more annoying notifications telling you that FrostWire is running idle in the background.
Now you will only get notifications under 3 possible situations:
1. You’re playing music. A Mini-Player control will appear in the notification bar so you can quickly pause, skip, stop music playback or get back to the Audio Player screen.
2. When you’re actively downloading or seeding files from the network, you’ll be able to see how many transfers are active and how much upstream or downstream bytes per second it’s sending or receiving.
3. When a download is finished, touching it will open the app and take you straight to the Transfers screen.
You can haz performance
Great care and attention was put into optimizing memory and CPU usage, FrostWire’s impact on your battery life will be as small as ever. FrostWire will throttle repeated background thread requests that were needlessly done in the past, and dozens of crashes were fixed prior to this moment.
A new powerful jlibtorrent 1.2.3 build, along with new OpenSSL and boost libraries has been included with bleeding edge innovation in BitTorrent and encryption technology.
We’ve rebuilt the app with the latest Android libraries from Google and repairs to search engines, including our LimeTorrent’s search has been rewritten from scratch for nearly instant torrent search results.
Don’t want ads? We got you
We’ve also heard your complaints regarding the ads on the app, we’ve made interstitial ad display less aggressive and now even if you don’t have money to pay to remove ads there’s a new option to play a rewarded video that will in return turn off all ads from the app for 30 minutes. You can keep playing the rewarded video every half hour to have an ad-free experience all day if you please. If you have a dollar to spare, you can remove ads for 30 days altogether.
In case you want to read all of the code changes here’s the full patch file depicting all of the changes.
If you enjoy this release, please consider making a donation with what you can to continue to make our work possible and keep FrostWire free.
And here’s the full changelog for this release
FrostWire 2.1.9 build 621 – JAN/23/2020
- New jlibtorrent 1.2.3
- libtorrent 220.127.116.11
- boost 1.72.0 build
- openssl 1.1.1d
- Android NDK 21
- UX: No more annoying ever-present Android notification, only during active transfers or music playback
- UX: Torrent search results now show how old they are
- EngineService and MusicPlaybackService are no longer ran as foreground services following newer android guidelines
- Considerable CPU usage reduction through thread invocation throttling frees resources for better search and download experience
- Removed experimental haptic feedback feature
- Multiple crashes fixed
- Music player and notifications framework update
- MusicPlaybackService lifecycle rewrite
- SoundCloud search/downloads fixed
- LimeTorrents search/downloads fixed
- android material 1.2.0-alpha03
- androix browser 1.3.0-alpha01
- applovin and mopub mediation 9.11.1
- lt:fix erroneous event=completed tracker announce when checking files
- lt:promote errors in parsing listen_interfaces to post listen_failed_alert
- lt:fix bug in protocol encryption/obfuscation
- lt:fix buffer overflow in SOCKS5 UDP logic
- lt:fix issue of rapid calls to file_priority() clobbering each other
- lt:clear tracker errors on success
- lt:optimize setting with unlimited unchoke slots
- lt:fixed restoring of trackers, comment, creation date and created-by in resume data
- lt:fix handling of torrents with too large pieces
- lt:fixed division by zero in anti-leech choker
- lt:fixed bug in torrent_info::swap
Snowy peaks photo credit:
By Asoggetti under Public Domain