Here is a Tutorial on how to install and run FrostWire 4.17.0 in Debian Lenny.
Thanks to the people at TuxArea for writing this detailed tutorial.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Official FrostWire 4.17.0 Download link
After 6 months of work, a completely new fork from the LimeWire code base has come to fruition, FrostWire 4.17.0 features over a year’s worth of core and user interface upgrades made to the original LimeWire client, now included in FrostWire along all the previous work done over FrostWire 4.13.x.
Among the most important updates:
- Upgrades on our update notification system, capability for featured content and recommendations
- Updated Playlist (drag & drop support, and Playlist rearrange options)
- New Media Player with volume and seek controls (Plays mp3, ogg and wav)
- Support for private torrents
- Greater control over your Shared files
- Add Magnets to Open Dialog
- Improvements in bootstrapping
- Warn When Too Many Files Shared
- Make Ultrapeers ignore partial results
- Mojito DHT capable (still not active for 4.17.0)
- More translations to be available for the community on launchpad.net. Many improvements for Spanish, and Italian and Chinese have been finally been added among others
- Reduce query traffic by knowing firewalled state; implement leafs informing ups of firewall status.
- Recognize flv as a video extension.
- Enable removal from playlist via the ‘Delete’ or ‘Backspace’ key.
- (Bittorrent) Extended BEncoding to support rational numbers.
- Add support for alternate location lookup for BitTorrents.
- Use less memory for large number of leaf connections.
- General Save folder improvements.
- Smoother Icon Tray Icons for Linux and Windows
- FrostWire now runs under Java SE 6 on Mac OS X (however SE6 is temperamental; it exhibits some strange connection issues). More integration with the MacOSX dock and other components
- Speedup Magnet/Torrents at startup.
- Add partial search results.
- Exclude magnet downloads from being purged after 7 days.
- Incremental search on the Settings window
- Default setting tweaks for users with high speed connections (T1,T3) to make the most out of their bandwith
Faster than ever
Here’s a full screenshot of the new speeds achieved with FrostWire 4.17.0 when downloading torrents.
FrostWire 4.17.0 is a major milestone on the project road map, many new innovations are to come after this release, stay tuned.
FrostWire, a Gnutella Peer-to-Peer client, is a collaborative effort from many Open Source and freelance developers located from all around the world. In late 2005, concerned developers of LimeWire’s open source community announced the start of a new project fork “FrostWire” that would protect the developmental source code of the LimeWire client and any improvements to the Gnutella protocol design. The developers of FrostWire give high regard and respect to the GNU General Public License and consider it to be the ideal foundation of a creative and free enterprise market.
Download FrostWire 4.17.0 from the official website