In case you don’t notice many of the changes, the most important ones are:
Send File & Send Folder
Available on the “File” Menu or by right clicking on an active torrent in the transfer manager.
This feature allows you to send a file or a folder, no matter its size to another person using a simple http:// link. The other person needs to have FrostWire +5.0.6 running to receive the file.
The page shown on the link you send will guide the receiving person through the process with a series of live notifications. The moment FrostWire starts running it’ll automatically start downloading the file or folder over the bittorrent network. You as an user will never have to deal with .torrent files, trackers, or anything, it’s all transparent and it rocks.
With this new feature we hope we can give “normal people” a new and convenient alternative to the nuisance of sending large files over the internet.
Here’s a few benefits of using FrostWire to send files to friends:
Partial Downloads are now an obvious feature
Now all search results have [+] icon left of the search result name, if you click there the Partial Download window opens to let you see the contents of the torrent. If the torrent has way too many files and you’re just interested in a few you can use a type as you text search filter to find what you need in the torrent easily.
And for the curious, here’s the full changelog for this release
FrostWire 5 changelog:
frostwire (5.0.7) stable; urgency=high
* UX upgrade, send file or send folder support when a file or folder
is dropped on FrostWire.
* UX upgrade, file choosing dialogs on Mac now also show mounted volumes.
* UX upgrade, playback support for m4a files.
* UX upgrade, search result filters re-arranged.
* UX upgrade, main search button gone, updated search text box to include
clickable search icon.
* UX upgrade, filters re-arranged.
* UX upgrade, searches can be up to 50 characters long.
* UX upgrade, either disconnected or turbocharged, no idle state.
* UX upgrade, search as you type on the library, no more search button.
Disconnected only if it cannot connect to the internet.
* UX bugfix, iTunes options were not visible for Windows users.
* UX bugfix, fixes possible UI freeze on startup.
* UI bugfix, sending songs to iTunes on Mac is now done in a single process.
* Mac OSX Lion compatible.
* Bugfix, issue where opening a torrent from maglnk.com would result in a
double invocation of the Partial Dialog window.
* Bugfix, when user didn’t start a partial download the torrent wouldn’t be
— FrostWire Team Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:13:16 -0500
frostwire (5.0.6) stable; urgency=high
* New feature, Send file. Available on File Menu and Transfer Manager.
* New feature, Send folder. Available on File Menu and Transfer Manager.
* UX upgrade, we now have a [+] icon next to search result file names to
show partial download dialog.
* UX upgrade, when a partial download is cancelled, the entry is removed
* UX update on partial download dialog. Includes new text filter.
* UX fix, Library search now also looks for .torrents on “Torrents” folder.
* UX fix, Mac OSX file menu does no longer show “Exit” action.
* Fixes bug, incomplete files are no longer exported to iTunes playlist.
* UX update, Help Menu now says “Sharing Help”. Items rearranged.
* UX update, rearranged View options into single panel.
* UX update, torrent seeding settings are now a control of its own with
an explanation of what seeding is.
* UX update, the installation wizard now forces the user to decide if
she wants to seed or not seed to continue. Links to what is seeding
are in place.
* UX update, in Windows and Linux, when the user Xs the window the user is
explained that the application will be hidden and is given the option
* UX bugfix, font size can now be increased.
— FrostWire Team Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:57:00 -0500
frostwire (5.0.4) stable; urgency=high
* UI upgrade, Create and seed New Torrents.
* UI upgrade, Ability to throttle torrent transfer speeds
* UI upgrade, Copy info hash from torrent.
* UI upgrade, Copy magnet link url from torrent.
* UI upgrade, Searchable library. Searches recursively downloaded
files, folders and torrents.
* UI upgrade, Search results filterable by Torrent Search Engine.
* UI upgrade, Search results filterable by file size.
* UI upgrade, Search results filterable by number of seeds.
* UI upgrade, Search results filterable by keywords as you type.
* UI upgrade, Ability to download partial files.
* UI upgrade, Promotional slides can now be switched by the user.
* UI upgrade and bug fixes on Phone & Tablets tab.
* UI upgrade, Ability to rebuild “FrostWire” playlist on iTunes.
* UI upgrade, Replaced legacy skinning code for “Substance” skinning system.
* Core update, audio playback is now done using mplayer.
* Core update, Vuze core integration with transfer manager.
re-written from scratch.
* Core update, No Gnutella support. Multiple library dependencies gone.
— FrostWire Team Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:00:00 -0500