Download FrostWire 5.6.0 beta (under “BETA RELEASES”)
Attention Technical writers, hackers and hardcore FrostWire enthusiasts, here’s the upcoming changelog for FrostWire 5.5.6 as we polish the last details and begin the testing process.
Update 3 (Apr 23 2013 – 10:38pm EST):
Download FrostWire 5.5.6 Release Candidate Installer for Windows
Update 2 (Apr 23rd 2013 – 9:32pm EST):
Download FrostWire 5.5.6 Release Candidate 2 Installer for Mac OSX
During the next hours we’ll be releasing Release Candidate Binaries for those of you who would like to help catch a few bugs in advance. This list is not final as we’re still closing the development cycle for this release.
Please fork-us and send your patch-branch via pull-request.
frostwire (5.5.6) stable; urgency=high
* New Feature: Includes search results from archive.org, which indexes millions of public domain and creative commons works from all over the internet.
* New Feature: playlist songs can be re-ordered with drag and drop.
* New Feature: all songs in a playlist can now be exported to a folder.
* Upgrade: Improved Unicode support for Chinese characters.
* Upgrade: mplayer update for unicode character file playback support.
* Upgrade: Search architecture upgrade for much faster search results.
* Upgrade: Considerably faster mp3,mp4 parsing in the library, creating playlists is now faster than ever.
* Upgrade: New more explicit Wi-Fi sharing icons.
* Upgrade: Updated radio station database.
* Upgrade: up to 20% faster listing of files in the Library.
* Upgrade: Video player upgrades for better experience.
* Bug fix: screen-saver no longer kicks in during video playback.
* Bug fix: UPnP Wi-Fi sharing discovery consumes 84% less CPU on
congested local networks. Fixing reported slowdowns and reducing
considerable power consumption for laptop users.
* Bug fix: X11 related error fix.
* Bug fix: Number of files being shared includes the number of torrents
* Bug fix: Library search issues related to unicode characters.
* Bug fix: Multiple null pointer exceptions and crashes fixed.
* Bug fix: Fixed rendering issue related to wrong parsing of bitrate
* Upgrade: (Developers) ant compilation scripts cleanup.
* Upgrade: (Developers) use of ‘frostwire-commons’ repository to share
common code between FrostWire for Android and Desktop projects.
— FrostWire Team <email@example.com> Mon, 22 Apr 2013 05:58:00 -0500
Improved icons for Wi-Fi sharing/unsharing are coming to FrostWire for Android 1.0.6, and FrostWire 5.5.6
(some users thought their files were locked, hopefully this version of the icon will not cause any confusion)
File is available to other users running FrostWire on the same Wi-Fi network.
File is not available on the Wi-Fi network.
Share responsibly and tag Open Wi-Fi networks with FrostWire stickers.
frostwire (5.5.5) stable; urgency=high
* Bug fix: Null pointer exceptions in Media Player.
* Bug fix: Multiple User Interface thread violations fixed.
* Bug fix: Setup Wizard painting issues in Linux resolved.
— FrostWire Team Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:00:00 -0500
Just wanted to share a graph showing the number of lines of code in time for FrostWire during the past 2 years.
Boy have we removed code to make things better.
You can also contribute to FrostWire, join us and make a difference!
DOWNLOAD NOW, it’s free.
Got stickers yet?
TAG and let let others know there’s a near by FrostWire Wi-Fi sharing area.
What we fixed on 5.5.1:
frostwire (5.5.1) stable; urgency=high * New Clear Inactive button on transfers. * New setting to use the default system media player instead of FrostWire's. * New Download Cloud URLs, Torrents and Magnets by entering urls on the search field. * New toggle full screen video playback with double click. * Enhancement: Library file tables now show file modified date field and files are sorted by it in descending order so user can easily find newest files added to the library. * Enhancement: Playlist tables now show the track number column and are by default sorted by it in ascending order to enjoy albums in the order they were meant to be heard by the content creators. * Enhancement: mime type guessing is faster when sharing files on Wi-Fi * Bug fix: Library was getting confused with file extensions as part of file names. * Bug fix: sharing/unsharing popup menu behavior while sharing on Wi-Fi * Bug fix: resizing issues on preview download dialogs. * Bug fix: filtering on torrent detail dialog was broken. * Bug fix: Library continuous playback working from play button. * Bug fix: Cloud download error fixed. * Bug fix: Media lib unicode issue. -- FrostWire Team Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:00:00 -0500
The new FrostWire 5.5.0 features dozens of fixes and a few new powerful features.
Play and Stream Video
Now FrostWire will let you play Videos and Movies. These may come from files already in your computer, video files shared from your Android phone with FrostWire for Android, or even from search results coming from the cloud (play before downloading. this also applies to music shared on the cloud)
We have made a fork of the mplayer project called frostwire-jmplayer, in the case of MacOSX we’ve built UI controls in Cocoa (Objective-C) to give you the best experience. In the case of Windows and Linux we’ve built the same controls and rendered them on the mplayer window using some cool java tricks.
In case you’re not very fond of using the mouse, here are some supported keyboard shortcuts when you’re using the video player:
Toggle Full Screen: F key, Alt+Enter, Cmd+Enter on Mac
Leave Full Screen: ESC key or see Toggle Full Screen
Pause/Resume: spacebar key, P key
Skip Forward, Skip Backwards Left and Right arrow keys.
Volume Up: Up arrow, = key, + key
Volume Down: Down arrow, – key
One of the number one complains after we got rid of Gnutella has been the ability to preview downloads. Now you’ll be able to do preview search results coming from the cloud, for both audio and video files. FrostWire will stream and play the content for you if you hit that play button instead of the download one.
Audio and Video streaming is also available if you’re on a PC/Mac and you try to play audio or videos shared from another PC, an Android Phone or Android Tablet running FrostWire on the same Wi-Fi network.
Send files between computers (PC, Mac, Linux), Android Phones and Android Tablets, no more USB cables, no more mounting, no more pairing, just share and go.
Say you took some pictures, or recorded some video on your phone or tablet, you can mark the file shared on your device and other computers, phones or tablets running FrostWire on the same Wi-Fi network can download and stream your shared files.
We’ve experienced file transfers of up to 15MB/s from a Macbook to a Kindle Fire HD. No internet necessary, just having FrostWire running on devices connected to the same Wi-Fi hotspot.
We’ve built this feature primarily thinking of small work groups in offices, classrooms and for convenient media sharing at home. NO MORE CABLES, No more USB mounting, No more USB Sticks. Just share, stream or download.
And remember, don’t ever pay for FrostWire, it’s absolutely free software. No subscriptions, registration, no nags, just download, install and go.